[AT] skidding logs with a tractor is a dangerous business

John Grant jfgrant at zoomon.net
Wed Aug 8 12:03:56 PDT 2007

I too have skidded logs with tractors and have had some close calls. I
generally got the log and tractor close enough so that I could pick up the
one end by the tractor and suck it in using the 3 point and then chaining it
to the drawbar and away we'd go.

 Sometimes It was better to drag the log and then I'd use a chain with a
break-away section so that if the log hung up on another tree or something
the tow chain would break. Sometimes the break-away wouldn't hold the log in
some tough going and then caution went the way of good sense and danger took
over.

 As we get (hopefully) older caution becomes more prevalent. Yall take care
out there! Someone needs you home tonight!  JG in Mich.