[AT] skidding logs with a tractor is a dangerous business

Rick Weaver Rick_Weaver at hilton.com
Wed Aug 8 12:14:47 PDT 2007

It's ok to lift and drag logs if you have a boom pole (or other
implement) on the 3pt that extends past the rears.  I use a boom pole to
lift whole trees, and because the boom pole keeps the tractor from
flipping over backward it is as safe as it can be.  If the tractor
starts flipping backward, the boom pole (or tree/log) hits the ground
and the backward flip stops immediately.

I've also skidded logs chained to the box blade.  Benefit there is that
the box blade gives you added weight and more traction with the same
non-flip characteristic.  If you have it lashed short enough, you can
also lift a tree as well with a box blade.

No matter where you hitch a chain, if there is nothing on the 3pt to hit
the ground and cause loss of rear traction, you still run some risk of a
flip.

Rick