[AT] Thanks! Re: Question - Follow-up

charlie hill chill8 at suddenlink.net
Sat Aug 4 05:43:55 PDT 2007

Greg,  this is advice from a guy that gave up on farming a long time ago so
take it for what it's worth.  Here goes:

If you're planning on staying in farming for the long term you've got to
think down the road and stop worrying about what one year brings.  That kind
of optimism is what it takes to be successful and what I lacked.  I know you
realize that but I repeated it to make a point.  Lots of times in drought
years there are low interest loan programs.  This year might be a good time
to look into financing a decent barn or shed.   I don't really like the idea
of tarping up tractors and combines.  Here in the S/E it is much to humid.
If you leave it sit out it's wet for a while and dirty all the time.  If you
tarp it up tight it's clean but wet all the time and rusty.

That is why I suggested using multiple tarps.  Overlapping them and keeping
them up off of flat surfaces allows some air to get in and circulate.  I
didn't mention it before because I couldn't find it online but some of the
boat supply houses have or atleast used to have some vents designed to go
into tarps for boats.  Also, you might consider putting a fan inside the
tarp somewhere so that it pulls air through under the tarp or tarps and
blows it out somewhere near the top of the cab.  Please don't just wrap it
up tight and leave it.

Good luck with your crop.  The corn on our place looks about like you
describe yours.  I'm sure glad it's not mine (this year).  If it were a good
crop I'd be jealous but that's the way it goes.

Charlie