[AT] Thanks! Re: Question - Follow-up

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Fri Aug 3 22:35:22 PDT 2007

One of the things that is greatly hindering any bulding project has been
the crops.  We have received only an inch of rain since
May 1, although a mile either direction from us has had more than we
have.  However, everyone in the area is now in drought trouble.  Our wheat
was about 2/3 of a normal crop.  Half of the corn is already mostly dried
up with no cob formed.  The edible beans and the soybeans are in bug
trouble, although we may get 1/2 crop if we get rain within the next 3 to 4
days.  On top of that, we have just had 10 straight days of near record
temperatures with full sun.  (Normally, because of the lakes, 2/3 of our
days are overcast.)  A cousin of mine who farms about 10 times the acreage
I do told me in the coffee shop yesterday that he figures his crop losses
are going to run around $200,000 because of the drought.

Greg Hass
Michigan