[AT] OT -- Fort Knox & gold

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Apr 27 14:35:58 PDT 2007

I had a long discussion with Rolla today about life at the gold respository
at Fort Knox.  He was one of better than 20 stackers who were working there
back in the 1930's.  I asked him specifically about the French gold.  He
said that was the only country that did not use the purest gold they could
get. Theirs was alloyed and never had a better purity than 87%.  He thinks
it was alloyed with cadmium, and it was not only a definite pink color, but
it also was much harder than the US and British gold.  It had a ring to it
when you plunked it down in a stack and if you didn't watch it, it would
bounce.  All the other gold was malleable and the bars would friction-bond
together when being stacked.  The stackers got used to stacking the pure
gold (which didn't bounce) and flying gold bricks in the French gold caused
a number of injuries among the stackers.  He says only he and Bill Harrison
got through with stacking French gold without getting broken legs, crushed
hands, or cracked ribs.  Rolla and Bill were both tall slim kids at that
time and they got the job of stacking when the gold got close to the
ceiling.  He moved $26 million in just over 9 months time.  At that time,
that would have been 26 tons of gold.  Rolla said Bill sang dirty songs the
whole time they were working.  He bought them from a peddler who came
through Elizabethtown by the name of Chief Cody.  Apparently some of Chief
Cody's best "sellers" were dirty songs and French postcards.

Rolla said his main job was to maintain the three bullion scales at the
vault.  Each beam scale had pans on either side that were about two feet in
diameter and the fulcrum for the scale was about seven feet off the floor.
When the scales started showing sensitivity problems, it was Rolla's job to
lap both the knife edge and the flat steel plate it rested on back into
perfectly smooth condition once again.  The steel plate was about seven
inches square and the knife edge was the same length.  The scales had to be
lapped (polished absolutely smooth and flat) once again about every three
months.

Now I understand why Rolla  expressed absolute shock when I complained to
him a week ago that a local jeweler said it was impossible to polish out an
engraving that we needed removed so that corrected information could be put
in its place.  The jeweler said he couldn't do it because it was stainless
steel instead of silver.  Rolla had lots of experience at polishing out the
grooves in the Fort Knox scales caused by the weight of the gold and poises
on the scales.

The man amazes me sometimes.

Larry