[AT] Oily brakes, Farmall M

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Thu Apr 19 20:13:49 PDT 2007

Next project on the M is to take the brakes apart and clean them up.  They both work, sort of, but both sides are pretty messy with gunk built up around them and oil dripping down out of the brake housings.

Can I replace the oil seals without draining the transmission oil first?  I guess what I'm really asking is, is the level of the oil inside the transmission case normally up above the level of the brake drum shaft?

(If I had half a brain I'd have thought to do this before refilling the transmission case, since I just had it empty to work on the PTO.)

Next question is what might I need to do with the brake bands themselves?  If they're not obviously worn out, but have been oil-soaked for a long time, will just cleaning and drying them be enough?

Thanks--

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net