[Steam-engine] Reverser lever

Andy glines pioneersop96 at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 16 09:47:49 PDT 2007

Francis has hit the nail on the head.  Moving the
lever toward the center is called "hooking up"  Trains
use this method to control the speed.  They put the
lever into the farthest notch "in the corner" and open
the throttle wide open to get rolling. After they are
moving the engineer moves the reverse toward the
center as far as he can and still maintain the needed
speed.  The closer the lever is to the center the less
steam the cylinder gets thus it is more efficient.
Get a copy of the Case Manual.  Read the entire book
because it is well written in plain language.  The
Case book gives a very good overview of a traction
engine and it appliances and I recommend it to anyone
starting out with steam.  The Case book also gives
good instructions for settinf the Woolf gear on a Case
engine.  I used the case directions when setting the
valve on my Huber.  The "Steam Engine Guide" by P.S.
Rose covers different valve gears.  You can get the
guide from www.steamtraction.com

Andy Glines
Evansville, IN