[AT] Troy Bilt Junior Tiller issues; Now: New gas

Larry D Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Wed Apr 11 07:43:10 PDT 2007

Speaking of today's gas (please notice that for once I have changed the
subject line) I now routinely add stabil to all the gas containers in the
garage and shop.  The new formulations seem to have zero shelf life.  There
is no way I can keep the dozen or so small engines I own clear and running
if I don't put that stuff in.

The current shop rate ($65 per hour) has changed some of my repair
procedures for customers.  I now no longer repair 2-cycle carburetors for
any reason.  It's cheaper for the customer to install a brand new carburetor
than for me to tear it down, buy the repair kit (which always contains twice
as many parts as needed) put it back together and get it running right.
Some of the carburetors on Echo equipment are "purposely" not repairable.
Last week, I installed a new carb on an Echo string trimmer.  The cost was
$34 for the carb, primer pump, and fuel pump as a bolt on unit.  Total bill
to the customer was $65 whereas the teardown, boiling in solvent and
reassembly would have cost over $100.  I hate it, but that's where we stand
in today's market.

Larry