[AT] Semi OT....Troy Bilt Junior Tiller issues

John Valdez johnvaldez at shaw.ca
Tue Apr 10 21:08:01 PDT 2007

Hello Mike.

While I have no logical explanation for my experiences with "gutless"
machines, I have found from experience that replacing the spark plugs
fixed the problem.

My 1933 International  has "new" Champion plugs in it when I bought
it. I tried everything I could think of to get more power out of the
engine just to pull itself up an incline.  Finally in desperation, I
changed the plugs and it ran great ever afterwards.

A month ago I had similar symptoms. My 1955 (?) Towmotor forklift had
new Autolite plugs put in 2 years ago.  With about 15 hours total
running since then the problem similar to the T-20 appeared.  New
Autolite plugs installed  now it starts and works great again.

For me now, my first diagnosis is to replace the plugs with new
whenever machine gets gutless.

Wayne
Vancouver Island

At 06:35 PM 4/10/2007, you wrote:

>Hey guys and gals,
>
>Since someone was complaining about not having any list traffic I thought
>I'd post about this tiller I bought today.  It is a Troy Bilt Junior, and it
>came with a furrower attachment that hasn't ever been used.   The gentleman
>I bought it from had a price of $150 on it but said he'd take $75.   It does
>have an issue.  The seller said he had a shop rebuild the carb with a kit
>and also put on a new head gasket last fall.   It now has an issue where it
>will run fine--until you put it in gear and put it in the ground and then it
>just acts like it has no guts and dies.   I bought it without running it(yes
>probably a mistake) but here is what I found once I got it home.   It starts
>with the choke all the way on, and then once it starts you can put the choke
>in the next notch.   The choke has 4 settings it can be in, if full choke is
>4 then you can put it in 3 and it will still run.  However, in notch 3 it
>seems to run wide open, regardless of if the throttle is at idle or 1/2.
>Once you go so high, though, it dies.  It also runs faster than a normal
>idle in setting 4 no matter where the throttle is set.   Once you engage the
>tines/wheels but don't put it in the ground, it runs but loses some speed.
>As I said before, once you put any kind of load on it, it loses RPMS and
>then just dies competely.   I'm not sure if this all started once he had it
>fixed, or since then.   Anybody have an idea?    Sound like a governor
>problem or carb problem?    I am thinking it is something inside the carb
>since it was worked on but I have no clue.   It is a tecumseh engine.   I
>would appreciate anybodys thoughts or advice.
>
>Mike

==

ICQ Number 1625774

1930(?) Case Model L(?), gas - with Hough loader - Rescued - not running
1933 IHC T-20, Gas Crawler with blade - Running
1940's (?) Hyster Karry Krane (Cranemobile), 5 ton lift - Model CM;
Serial 115, with Hercules 1XB3 4 cyl gas - Rescued - not running -
Hercules IXB3 engine has major parts missing..
1947 Massey-Harris Pony, gas - Model 11 - Serial PGS-1256 - running
1948 McCormick Farmall H, gas - Serial FBH-272855 with Loader -
running; needs clutch
1947-55(?) Towmotor Forklift, 4,000 lb lift - gas - no Serial -
partial restore - running
1950(?) IHC Stationary Engine(same as Farmall H) with Trans and flat
belt pulley - running
1951 IHC TD-9, Diesel Crawler/bulldozer - Serial TDCB-42774 - engine
being re-worked.
1952 IHC TD-9, Diesel Crawler/bulldozer - Serial TDCB-56552 - needs
final gears  not running
1952(?) Earthmaster tractor, gas - no serial, not running
1953 Thew/Lorain 15 ton Truck Crane, serial 24876 - 40 ft boom, two 6
cylinder gas - partial restore - running
1967 Ford Thunderbird 2 Door - Older Restore
1975 Kubota B6000, Diesel 4x4 - with loader and backhoe - Rebuilt
1999 - running
1980 Case 580C, Diesel Loader/Backhoe - Serial 9011002 - running
1984 Mustang convertible - running
1998 John Deere 870 4WD, Diesel - with loader - running
...and some more engines and welders

Accessories:
1947 Champion Sparkplug tester and cleaner
1950  Sun Dwell and Tach meter
...and more