[AT] Transmission for tractor hauling truck

bridgescharles at hughes.net bridgescharles at hughes.net
Thu Apr 5 06:41:02 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Pilbeam" <pilbeam100 at yahoo.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 8:12 AM
Subject: Re: [AT] Transmission for tractor hauling truck

>I am not sure why this guy drilled and left out springs, but I have done a
>few of these myself and a stock th400 behind a v6 should be bulletproof. I
>dont think at all he has done you any favors with leaving out springs and
>drilling the case.
>
>  The only thing if any that should of been done to your trans is a minor
> "MR SHIFT" shift kit
>  which makes a firmer quicker shift. leaving out springs will in fact burn
> the plates.
>
>  my 2 cents
>
>  Jeff

Thanks Jeff

I probably didn't say it right about leaving out springs and adding
clutches.  Just know he told me he left out some springs and added clutches,
but I don't know enough to know exactly what he did.

The transmission guy I talked to about rebuilding it is afraid the case is
bad, and he doesn't have one.  He also knows a "drag race" guy was the last
one to rebuild it and he is afraid he has made his own shift kit.  Said he
tried one before that one of these guys had been in and never could get it
to work right in the case they  had built.

Its hard to find a good used one not knowing what length output shaft you
are getting.  My transfer case is a 241C, but I haven't been able to find
one in the junkyard that came off a 241C.

Thanks
Charles