[AT] Transmission for tractor hauling truck

Jeff Pilbeam pilbeam100 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 5 05:12:10 PDT 2007

I am not sure why this guy drilled and left out springs, but I have done a few of these myself and a stock th400 behind a v6 should be bulletproof. I dont think at all he has done you any favors with leaving out springs and drilling the case.

  The only thing if any that should of been done to your trans is a minor "MR SHIFT" shift kit
  which makes a firmer quicker shift. leaving out springs will in fact burn the plates.

  my 2 cents

  Jeff

Doug Tallman <dtallman at accnorwalk.com> wrote:
  At 10:40 PM 4/4/2007 -0400, you wrote:
>My transmission hasn't been pulled out yet. When it was built earlier the
>guy left out the springs in the clutch pack and put in extra clutches and it
>makes it slam into gear when shifting. He is afraid that the center support
>is ruined in my case and also that they may have bored out some holes in the
>case when making these modifications.
>
>Charles

If he left all the return springs out the clutch wouldn't release right and
would burn the plates. Leaving every other spring out helps speed the shift
and still lets it release. The springs aren't in the way of the plates and
it would have required a different or cut piston to get more clutches in
the drums. Most of the time the holes are drilled in the seperator plate
and not the case. They are already bigger than the plate. They used to make
a case saver for the center support. I don't recall seeing many V-6s with
4X4. In the 2WD V-6 WT series they used a trans called a 375. This was a
400 style trans with a 350 size output shaft. The 350 had a smaller
diameter shaft. Not sure if they did that in the 4X4 or not but if you are
changing out the whole trans it would be worth checking the diameter of the
output shaft.
Doug Tallman
VGTCOA Ohio Regional Director
Greenwich, Ohio, USA