[AT] Transmission for tractor hauling truck

bridgescharles at hughes.net bridgescharles at hughes.net
Wed Apr 4 19:40:29 PDT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: "Doug Tallman" <dtallman at accnorwalk.com>
To: "Antique tractor email discussion group" <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2007 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: [AT] Transmission for tractor hauling truck

> At 11:01 AM 4/4/2007 -0700, you wrote:
>>That is correct a 400 case is a 400 case
>>   The 2wd vs 4wd is only the tailshaft extension and output shaft
>> everything else is the same
>

>  There is a difference in the flywheel covers, also on the newer ones.
> They use a cast aluminum cover and the flange on the trans case is
> beefier.
> It takes real bolts to hold it instead of sheet metal screws. I've drilled
> and tapped thin cases enough to hold the cover on but there isn't much
> holding. What happened to your case? Broke? Wore out in center support?
>             Doug Tallman
> VGTCOA Ohio Regional Director
>       Greenwich, Ohio, USA

My transmission hasn't been pulled out yet.  When it was built  earlier the
guy left out the springs in the clutch pack and put in extra clutches and it
makes it slam into gear when shifting.  He is afraid that the center support
is ruined in my case and also that they may have bored out some holes in the
case when making these modifications.

Charles