[AT] Troubleshooting no start

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Sep 29 03:27:03 PDT 2006

Whether or not you have the problems John described, I can add some
suggestions to his solutions:

1. You can use an unlit propane torch with the valve cracked open and
moving the tip slowly around the area of the manifold and carburetor
when the engine is finally running. The vacuum will suck the propane in,
and the engine will speed up. This is less messy than using a flammable
liquid and also somewhat quicker.

2. For a homemade inexpensive spark checker, I have an image of one I
use, consisting of an old spark plug, a hose clamp, and a battery
charger clip. See:
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/tools__equipment/ignition_tester.html>
(I posed the tester on a painted bolt for clarity, but, obviously, you
need to clamp it on to a good metal ground.) Open the gap on the plug,
as John suggested - it takes more energy for the spark to jump under
compression than in free air.

Based on everything I have read about this tractor's problems, I would
have to say that it either has very low compression or weak spark under
compression. I had a Ford N that was very hard starting, and it turned
out that the rings were broken on two of the pistons. It would run, once
I got it started, but a compression check showed two cylinders with
about 30 pounds compression. Burned valves can also cause poor compression.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition
of this is the beginning of wisdom.
-Theodore Rubin, psychiatrist and writer (1923- )