[Ford-ferguson] 8n 3 point hitch capacity

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Sep 20 04:16:48 PDT 2006

You can probably put enough weight on the hitch so that the front of the
tractor comes off the ground when you raise the hitch. Putting that much
weight on the hitch and running with it raised will put a LOT of strain
on the tractor's hydraulic system, possibly encouraging early failure.
You might be better off with some old fashioned cast iron or home made
wheel weights.

What most people don't understand is that rear weight helps tractor
traction in snow somewhat, but snow chains of the duo-grip type make all
the difference in the world. (Regular chains will just slip between the
lugs on ag tires, but the duo-grip stay on top.) I maintain two miles of
hilly dirt lane, so I have some experience in this matter...

See <http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/other_machinery/fordcab2.html>
for an image of my Ford 860 rigged up for winter snow clearing. Before I
went to truck mounted plows, this was my main tool for clearing the road.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

War is so unjust and ugly that all who wage it must try to
stifle the voice of conscience within themselves.
-Leo Tolstoy, novelist and philosopher (1828-1910)