[AT] Fuel stabilizer

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sun Sep 17 10:32:29 PDT 2006

I know folks who feel they absolutely have to use Stabil in any machine
that won't be used for a couple of months, but I have never used it and
have never had a problem with bad gas. I will note that the stuff they
sell at service stations these days does not seem to create the
"varnish" the older formulations did.

As far as diesel, yes, if left for a long time it will get some kind of
bacterial growth, but I think you are far more likely to have a problem
with water getting into the tank that has been sitting than bacteria.
Most of the "diesel fuel conditioners" are mostly kerosene, which seems
to somehow remove the water. I sold a Cat 112 motor grader that had been
sitting for at least 5 years with nobody touching the half a tank of
fuel, and the buyer got it started and drove it away with no problem.
(He drove it 5 miles down the road to his place, and it hasn't moved since!)

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

War is so unjust and ugly that all who wage it must try to
stifle the voice of conscience within themselves.
-Leo Tolstoy, novelist and philosopher (1828-1910)