[AT] OT - Spyware problems

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Thu Sep 14 08:25:46 PDT 2006

Linux has its place but as with anything, it certainly has
shortcomings. I set my network up so that I do most of my browsing on
my linux machine. There are a few websites that don't like firefox,
but most of them don't get repeat visits from me... I have my linux
system set up as my fileserver, print server, NT domain controller and
NTP (time) server. I have a number of PC's running windows that use it
for files on my engineering network, since several applications we use
have to run on MS. And with my recent migration to FC5, I now have
nearly all the multimedia stuff that the Windows folks like to throw
at me. I've been running this type of configuration for quite a while
and haven't had a virus get in. I also have been using spamassassin
with Evolution and have to give it rave reviews. It's roughly
equivalent to Outlook without the virus problems.

For someone new to it, you might get an old PC and a KVM switch and
plug it together so you can look at the MS box and the linux box.
Download the ISO image from RedHat at:

http://www.fedora.redhat.com/Download/    (they have instructions there)

And then go through the following page:

http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc5-tips.php

This gives you a lot of the tricks to set up the system for automatic
updates, multimedia and other niceties. Many folks are saying it takes
less time to do one of these installs than it does for an XP install
with virus scanner. I'd have to say they're probably correct.

With a setup like this, you can always use the KVM switch to go back
to the Windows box. If you're using a broadband connection on a router
this works really well since either system can use the 'net
connection.

I use gtkam for pulling the files from my digital camera. This might
not work for everyone, but it works with the old Olympus camera we
have here. I haven't tried anything with video though, other than
playing a DVD (which works nicely).

Your mileage may vary. I like it... but I've been running UNIX systems
since the late 80's and have a heavy bias. OpenOffice seems to work
well for replacing what I do in Word and Excel. I use xmms to listen
to internet radio a LOT now with FC5 and love it.

Ken in AZ