[AT] Transmission oil, 90-wt? Now: drawings

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Tue Sep 5 18:32:57 PDT 2006

Seen it too many times of parts that are over toleranced. Especially the use
of geometric tolerance. We have to read between the lines and figure out
what matters and what doesn't a lot of times.

I'm a little confused when you said you're in favor of getting rid of
dimensioned drawings. Do you mean paper drawings or cad drawings with no
dimensions? We are seeing more and more solid models with literally no
dimensions. We either charge for dimensioning or have the customer dimension
them before we start. Heck, they even want us to quote parts lately without
having dimesions on the print. My high school drafting teacher would go
beserk on the junk some of these "engineers" put out. Our easiest to work
for customers are the ones who put out "textbook" drawings. Even their
prototypes bolt together and work teh first time. Revisions with these guys
are generally minor.

Again to keep this tractor related, I'm impressed at the craftsmanship found
on old machined parts. Running production on CNC machinery and holding .0005
is one thing---to have done it 50+ years ago is another. It also surprises
me to practically never see "screw-ups" where a hole got partially drilled
in the wrong place or a tap broke and the part was salvaged. It seems to me
they would have been more prone to let parts that would still work get
shipped anyway.

One last thing on the paper drawings. There is a steakhouse about 20 miles
from here that is in an old train depot. Naturally all decorations are train
related. They have 2 huge assembly blueprints of locomotives. Absolute works
of art in my opinion!! Now if the tractor companies ever decided to clear
the vault........

John