[AT] Transmission oil, 90-wt? Now: drawings

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Tue Sep 5 17:33:33 PDT 2006

It's a little bit more fundamental than that, John.  The coordinated
standards committees outlawed fractional tolerances, and in later
modifications they eliminated "sheet tolerances" altogether. That also
meant that implied tolerances were no longer allowed.  As a result, you
have to specify the tolerance on every dimension on a part and you have
to adhere to a hierarchy of tolerances based on guaranteeing
interchangeability of parts.  My students used to think that if a little
tolerancing is good, a lot ought to be better.  So they would specify
everything to four-place decimals without realizing that they had just
increased the production costs of the part by an order of magnitude or
two (10 to 100 times the original cost) if it had a larger tolerance.

The change isn't all bad.  With the proper application of linear
tolerances, geometric tolerances, and statistical process control, we're
seeing product life of engines, transmissions, and other major
assemblies that far exceeds anything we could have reasonably expected
50 years ago.  Remember when Ford and Studebaker engines were basically
worn out at forty or fifty thousand miles?  Now, it's not uncommon for
an engine to go for over 200,000 miles without an overhaul and
six-figure warrantees are fairly common.

I must admit to being an advocate for getting rid of dimensioned
drawings, John.  It became obvious to me when I was doing computer
graphics for a large supplier to the AEC in 1969 that the real data
resided in the computer program, not in the drawing.  It took 20 years
for industries and standards organizations as a whole to recognize that,
but in 1989 the unified professional societies made it official -- a
drawing is no longer required of a part before it is manufactured, and
the electronic database can be approved by a licensed engineer.

But I too enjoy the look and feel of the old drawings.  They are an art
form.  Just this week, I went through a closet full of materials that I
used to treat with reverence, but that now has no utility -- a roll of
tracing cloth from the Korean War era, a roll of drafting film, a roll
of tracing vellum.  Bear and H. L. Staples stopped by on their way to
Portland five years ago and I shipped all my drafting materials off with
them -- thousands of dollars-worth of tools and equipment that was
absolutely essential for engineering in a by-gone era but that now is
archaic.  I have never shed a tear over letting go of it all, but like
you, I still appreciate and value some prints of farm equipment from now
defunct manufacturers.

Larry