[Steam-engine] Oil grooves

Francis Orr steam.boat at verizon.net
Tue Sep 5 10:34:44 PDT 2006

You guys might be interested in reading up on the Kingsbury Thrust Bearing which is used to take the propeller thrust of a ship and transfer it to the vessel. It is basically a round plate with a series of pie shaped segments. These segments "water-ski" on a film of oil. Four of these bearings push a 1200' aircraft carrier. I don't think our crankshaft loads approach that kind of force. In the old days they used  horse collars which were babbited "U" shaped pieces between a number of collars turned on the propeller shaft or the engine crankshaft. Again, a film of oil transferred the thrust.

On a different note, anyone going to the Lake Goldsmith meet in Australia in November?
Francis A. Orr