[AT] Compression values and range

Ed Stewart edstewart1 at verizon.net
Fri Sep 29 07:16:02 PDT 2006

Here is a little tip worth trying if you suspect carbon built up on
valve seats. My dad showed me this about fifty years on a F-20 that you
could hear compression leaking out the exhaust when pulling the crank
slowly through compression. I have done this many times since. Start the
engine allow it to thoroughly warm up, increase the throttle and squrit
water into the carb at a rate that does not kill the engine, you will
have a bunch of steam coming out the exhaust. The water and resulting
steam cleans any carbon buildup from everywhere in the combustion
chamber and many times I have seen lower compression rate climb
considerably. After he showed me the ol F-20 didn't hiss by the valves
anymore and ran a lot better. I have done this with cars, tractors,
lawnmowers and several hitnmiss engines. Ed