[Farmall] Paint

bsdunek at ismi.net bsdunek at ismi.net
Sun Sep 10 19:08:27 PDT 2006

You're right Gordo.  Preperation is 90% (or more) of the job.  Paint
doesn't do well at covering imperfections.
For those that don't remember, the old IH paint jobs from the factory
weren't very good.  Orange peel, runs, thin spots, etc. were the
order of the day.  If you want to be really original, don't do a
really good job.
Who said brushing was bad?  Paints today don't brush so well.  Years
ago there were 'brushing enamels'.  About 1945, my Dad overhauled our
F-12, and he refinished it with a brush.  All the prep was done
right, and I would say it was as good as many spray jobs.  The old
brushing enamels were what they called 'self-leveling', in that the
brush marks flowed out into a smooth surface.  A good brush and skill
were still very important, and Dad could do that.
Most of the show tractors I see today are 'over restored', and I love
them!
Bruce