[AJD] D John Deere carb

Gary Epps garyepps at fidnet.com
Wed Sep 6 21:48:42 PDT 2006

I am trying to clean up the carb on the '37 D.  I now have it off the
tractor and am now puzzled.  Acorrding to the manual SM2000 it should have
DLTX-16 but it has a DLTX-13.  The bottom of the bowl is enbossed DLT 7.  It
is not the brass carb.  Is this the way it is supposed to be?  Do all these
numbers go together?

I left gas in it too long and gas now will apparently not run into the carb,
ie nothing comes out the bowl drain.  Does the engine need to be turning
over to create suction to get gas into the bowl?  I plan to soak the carb
tomorrow in carb cleaner.  Are there any issues I need to be aware of?  The
manual says to soak it for1 to 2 hrs while the carb solvent I bought today
says to soak a carb for 20 to 30 minutes.  Have you guys got any advice for
a rookie?

Thanks, Gary
In the Ozark Mountains of southern Missouri in the south central part of the
USA, where both life and I move slowly.