[AJD] zenith carburators, help pleasE?? not john deere

astroguy at nas.com astroguy at nas.com
Wed Sep 6 20:00:00 PDT 2006

Could use help troubleshooting zenith carburators.

Working on and trying to restore a 1943 Segrave fire engine, 12 cylinder
engine.  Has 2 Zenith carburators. ( model 288 )

Here is the problem.

clean gas tank.

clean gas lines.

new fuel pump.

rebuild carburators per instruction in rebuild kit. cleaned in carn cleaner
fluid and all passages blown clear.

gas goes all the way to the carbs and fills the bowls.

the engine runs fine on starter fluid or gas poured into the carbs.

will NOT run without gas from above.

I do not see gas squirting inside when the accelerator pump is pushed.

I think the problem is no gas getting from the carburator bowl into the
carb.

the idle needle was adjusted per instruction, one full turn open.  I also
tried 2 full turns and 2.5 turns.  Still not running.

Ok, so what did I do wrong??

Help please!!!!??

Kreig mcBride
Bellingham, WA