[AT] 90wt oil and fords

Chris Britton c.britton at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 4 17:30:37 PDT 2006

The reason that oil is marked for fords is because it is a gl1 or gl3 oil..
and not a gl4 or gl5 oil.. Most gl4/5 oils are not yellow metal safe.

Fords from 39-52 had an open sump setup.. so hyds shared the gear oil.. a
huge component of the hydro pump is yellow metal.. thus the need for a lube
that does not attack it..

My local tsc sells the 90wt/ford oil.. plus a 90wt gl1.. walmart sells a
90wt gl1 ( in some areas )  Napa can order 90wt gl1 as part number 65-205 5g
pail ).. There are also a few people who make a 80w90 product that is yellow
metal safe.. penzoil gearplus lubes, as well as a castrol product.

Soundguy