Spam/Phish> Re: [AT] Towing

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Sun Sep 3 10:26:02 PDT 2006

David,  most of the small farmers have gone out of business since the end of
the quota system.  Now there are just a few large farmers farming all of
those small farms.  Also, a lot of the larger farmers got out of the
business so some of that mechanical equipment was on the market a couple of
years ago at good prices.  However, the prices of some of it and the bulk
curing barns (for flue cured tobacco) have gone sky high in the last year or
so because no one is manufacturing the stuff now.

Tobacco, as you might know but others may not, is now grown on contract with
the tobacco companies much the same way as citrus and vegetable crops.

That guy must have been a smooth driver!  I used to play around when I was
pulling 3 or 4 behind a tractor.  One little shake of the wheel that would
only make the tractor move a few inches would translate into a major whip in
the last trailer.  I can't imagine what would  happen with 20!

By the way,  some of the central and eastern NC farmers are trying their
hand at burley tobacco now and I hear there are folks trying to grow 2 crops
a year in Texas.

Charlie