[Farmall] More M electrical problems

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Tue Oct 31 03:54:38 PST 2006

You definitely have a short in the switch. The reason the one screw is
getting red hot is because it's carrying all the current from the battery
to ground. A battery can provide 10 times its rated current under a dead
short. So if you have a battery that's rated somewhere around 30 amp,
you're delivering about 300 amps through the screw to ground. More than
enough to make it red hot. Take the switch off and physically look at it.
Work it by hand and see if the main contact is making contact with the
case when it moves. You may find something out of alignment, or something
worn, that you can easily fix.

Don't know if it's anything like the switch on my Cub, but years of taking
the battery cable on and off loosened everything up a bit and the last
time I put the battery cable back on, the wedge shaped contact on the
inside would rotate when I tightened the nut (almost 90 degrees). It
didn't short out against the case because it has insulators on each side,
but I knew I wouldn't get proper contact with the shorting bar during a
start. A little JB weld fixed the problem, the wedge is now permanently
positioned.

Carl Szabelski

This is an e-mail from General Dynamics Land Systems. It is for the intended recipient only and may contain confidential and privileged information.  No one else may read, print, store, copy, forward or act in reliance on it or its attachments.  If you are not the intended recipient, please return this message to the sender and delete the message and any attachments from your computer. Your cooperation is appreciated.