[Farmall] More M electrical problems

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Tue Oct 31 16:58:03 PST 2006

> there is a short or low resistance path to ground on the
> low side of the switch or very close to it.

> You have a bad starter switch.  It has an internal short that
> is putting voltage to the starter switch housing

> Don't know if it's anything like the switch on my Cub, but
> years of taking the battery cable on and off loosened everything
> up a bit and the last time I put the battery cable back on, the
> wedge shaped contact on the inside would rotate when I tightened
> the nut (almost 90 degrees).

Bigdog, Jim, Carl, you guys hit the nail on the head.  The lower battery
cable post was rotating in the housing, and the insulation is all
deteriorated and torn.  I'll try to scrounge up some plastic of about the
right thickness and see if I can make a replacement insulator, shaped well
enough to keep that contact from rotating.  It's shaped like a rounded
rectangle, and the long sides are still flat enough that it might hold still
if I can fit it back into something tough and the right shape.  Definitely
learned my lesson about going easy on the wrench on these connections.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net