[AJD] Lawn Tractor

Dave deere at gwltd.com
Wed Oct 18 19:43:24 PDT 2006

Tom, and the gang. I would love to hear your comments to this Deere story.

Two years ago in May 2004. I bought a new Deere 737 Z-Trak mower from my
local Deere dealer. All was find till about 8 weeks ago. I got the mower
out and started out of the garage with it. I knew right off one cylinder
was dead, so I shut it right off. Checked spark and all was well, so I
pulled the valve covers off and there it was both push rods on the right
cylinder were bent! 130 hours on a brand new $7,000.00 mower

The reason bought a Deere Vs something else is because I want to support
Deere after all I live in Moline and if it were not for Deere Moline
would not even be here, also most all my family worked for Deere and
lots of my friends, also I wanted local parts and support not to mention
I wanted years of trouble free service out of this new mower.

I drove out to the dealer and spoke to the Shop manager, he told me my
mower was just out of warranty and that Deere would not do anything. So
I bought two new push rods $4.00 and went home. Now the Dealer was
really STUPID to have charged me for these parts, in fact I think they
should have offered to pick up my mower and fix it for FREE. Did I
mention my neighbor bought the same mower the year after I did from the
same dealer because I told him how great it was.

I fixed the mower and went about my business, well two weeks later I
started to cut the yard and bang, two more bent push rods. This time I
called the service manager and I was real nice but I told him I thought
they really should be doing something about this crap. He called me back
a few hours later and told me that Deere was aware that some of these
mowers are having this issue. He said that grass is getting blown up
from the fan on the front of the engine (Kawasaki) and stuffed in the
cooling fins on the heads, and that Deere recomends that this be cleaned
out OFTEN, seems the grass causes the head temp to climb and then the
valves stick and you get bent rods. The dealer gave me two new rods and
valve cover gasket and said good luck!

In order to clean out the grass, you have to remove the fan shroud fan
the front of the engine, and in order to do this you have to pull the
engine out. So I took some tin snips and cut the shroud of both sides so
I can get it on and off with out pulling the engine, then you can blow
out the grass. Seems like Deere should fix this.

Not a happy camper!