[Farmall] 660 Hydraulics

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon Oct 16 14:00:38 PDT 2006

Going by my "Brown Book" used tractor price guide a 660 in fair
condition might only sell for $2500, depending on the year, wide vs.
narrow, hitch, tires, etc. - all the usual stuff.

It seems to me that a 660 is pretty much just a later version of the
560, so you can pretty much go by that as far as what the problems with
hydraulics might be. Plugged up filters, low fluid, bad pump, open limit
valve, or any of dozens of other problems. "Doesn't work" just covers
too many possibilities. A bad pump is the easiest and most costly
problem, but some of the other alternatives can drive you nuts just
trying to narrow it down. There is a Website I found a month or so ago
that describes the problems someone had trying to isolate a hydraulic
problem he had with a 460 <http://www.oldoakfarmalls.com/460Page.htm>. I
think he solved his problems, but I gather he dug very deeply into the
system and might have some suggestions for you when you get your tractor.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

Dissent is what rescues democracy from a quiet death behind
closed doors.
-Lewis H. Lapham, editor (1935- )