[Farmall] Low water, high oil

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Sat Oct 14 16:08:51 PDT 2006

I believe my very first post to the antique tractor list, must have been
eleven years ago, had a subject line of "low water, high oil."  I'd just
bought my '53 Super M and noticed that no matter what I did with it, the
temperature gauge barely ever cracked the C in Cold, let alone made it into
Run.  Similarly, the oil pressure was always up near the top end, the needle
not all the way to the right but pretty close.

So tonight I was touring the neighborhood on my new '50 M, just to hear it
run and let it get warmed up, and of course the temperature gauge didn't
move and the oil gauge was up near the top.  I ended up putting some
cardboard in front of the radiator to make sure the gauge in fact works, and
it eventually got up into the middle of Run.  I'll probably leave that there
through the winter.

Damn but the M sounded good tonight.  I need to get out of the suburbs so I
can do some real work with it.

Meanwhile, it kindly keeps coming up with things for me to mess with so I
don't get too anxious to move just yet.  Tonight the front headlights
decided not to shut off after I parked the tractor.  Rear one shuts off, and
the dim/bright part works, but the front two just stayed on.  I disconnected
the battery ground strap to shut them off, and will look into that some
other time.  It's also dripping some oil from the right brake housing, the
PTO doesn't work, there's no battery box, the bottom of the grill below that
opening for the cultivator gang lever has been cut away... I guess I can
make it through a few more months in town.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net