[AT] Where are the machinists? (and electricians)

Dean Vinson dean at vinsonfarm.net
Tue Oct 10 09:54:33 PDT 2006

I'm lucky that there's a nearby automotive electric shop where they (i.e.,
the one man owner-operator) still work on old-tractor generators.  Little
hole in the wall place, lots of well-used benches covered with alternators,
generators, starter motors, etc, in various stages of repair.

After some continued struggles with getting the charging system on my M to
work, I took the generator and regulator to this guy.  He spent probably
30-40 minutes tinkering with it, explaining to me how various things worked
or didn't work, occasionally philosophizing about stuff, etc.  In the end he
put a new regulator on, tested it for me, reminded me to be sure to polarize
the generator when I put it back on the tractor, shot the breeze a little
more, told me to come back if I had any more problems with it.  Total cost
less than fifty bucks.  I think that was a good deal, and in the
not-too-distant future when this old fellow retires I think deals like that
will be hard to come by.

Dean Vinson
Dayton, Ohio
www.vinsonfarm.net