[AT] Status Quo Maintenance?

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Thu Oct 5 11:59:29 PDT 2006

I agree with Frank on 99% of his comments. I would, however, expand on a
couple of comments:

If you are going to start an engine that hasn't been run in a while, it
helps if you can crank it over a little with having it fire to get some
oil pumped into the bearings before you put any strain on them. Second,
when you do start the machine, run it long and hard - maybe half an hour
and maybe with the radiator partially blocked. The reason for this is
that an engine that has been sitting picks up condensation in the oil,
and also gas washing down from the cylinders when cold. By running it
for a while and getting it up to temperature, you boil off the
accumulated water and gas. It will also get the moisture (and mouse
nests) out of the exhaust (especially if you have a Ford N or other
"industrial" tractor with a horizontal exhaust system and manifold.

As for the rest, "dirty" oil is a meaningless term with today's
detergent oils - they get "dirty" almost immediately after changing,
especially in older engines that may have lots of sludge and dirt
inside. So using the color of the oil is not an effective way to judge
when to change is. Frankly, modern engine oils can run far, far longer
between changes than those available when most of our tractors were
built. For a tractor that gets used for only mowing some acreage once a
week during the growing season, you can probable go two years between
oil/filter changes with no problem. A true working tractor that is
running some real hours on the meter needs to be changed more often. If
you are running a tractor hard all day, every day of the week, then
changing the oil and filter every couple of weeks would not be a bad idea.

The best thing you can do for batteries is remove them from idle
tractors and keep them in a reasonably warm place - letting them sit and
letting them get frozen are two things very bad for them.

Mike

Francis Robinson wrote:
> 	You have to remember that to most here this old tractor stuff is a hobby...
> It has been mostly hobby for me in recent years and more so now that I have
> retired from the grain farming (just isn't fun anymore). For most of my life
> it was all for income. Now as you start getting answers in you must remember
> that most of those answers come from hobbyist. Hobbyist are mostly into
> hobbies to use up time and find ways to spend time (and money) on their
> hobbies. I have observed that most hobby magazine projects are based on
> consuming time rather than efficiency.   :)   Some woodworkers would cut
> down a giant redwood to make a toothpick if they could.
> I started using a tractor in the fields alone at age nine. I will be 65 next
> spring. During that time we always had more than one tractor and they all
> had to work hard. In more recent years (the last 40) we kept a batch of them
> going but since we quit livestock (mostly hogs) most of them sat during the
> winter months. My Deere 4020 for example got used in the spring for primary
> tillage and pulling a 24' field cultivator. It was very efficient at such
> jobs but not at light work. During most years it sits most of the year. The
> combine was also seasonal. We do try to keep everybody under roof as much as
> possible.
> 	Batteries are a bit of a problem. All I do with them is keep the terminals
> cleaned and greased and on the 12 volt ones I use float chargers, rotating
> them (2) around. On the 6 volt ones I try to put a 1 amp trickle charger on
> them for a day or two a couple of times a year. Beyond that you just have to
> buy a battery now and then.
> 	I change oil when it gets dirty... period. If it gets dirty in a couple of
> months I change it. If it sits most of the time and stays clean for 3 years
> then it stays in the tractors... I always change oil and filters together.
> 	I change very little rear end lube now that they don't get a lot of hours.
> I did need to get some water out of the Farmall Super MTA this fall. I let
> it sit about a week then drained about a gallon out of each drain plug and
> topped it off with new lube.
> 	Now about this radiator stuff... With all of the tractors I now own, all of
> the tractors I used to own and all of the tractors I grew up with we "NEVER"
> had a radiator on a tractor corroding inside and needing replacement.
> NEVER... Not one. Antifreeze was mostly just left in  and added to as
> needed. Now on cars and trucks I have replaced several radiators from salt
> damage (makes them spongy and they cant even be soldered). Even then I have
> "NEVER" had a radiator corrode from the inside... If others are having this
> problem I have no idea why unless it is bad local water. I have also often
> used tractors on water only and drained them in cold weather. Again,  never
> a problem.
> 	Fuel... If I am not going to be using a tractor for some time I run it in
> [...]

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
<mikesloane at verizon.net>
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

Kindness is more important than wisdom, and the recognition
of this is the beginning of wisdom.
-Theodore Rubin, psychiatrist and writer (1923- )