[AT] Status Quo Maintenance?

John Hall jthall at worldnet.att.net
Wed Oct 4 18:34:50 PDT 2006

I am pretty much in line with Farmer. We have never mothballed anything that
we plan on using in a few months. Take the combine for example. It should be
done for the season by Dec. and will not be needed until June. I'll try to
remember to crank it a couple of times before then. If the battery goes down
I just charge it. I try not to leave a lot of fuel in it. We have some old
tractors that may sit a year or two. We'll drain the fuel when we put them
in storage. When we take them out we add fuel, add water if they don't have
antifreeze, and merely check the oil. Some of our old tractors have had the
same oil for several years. There are a couple of engines here that have had
the same anti-freeze for 15+ years. Check it every fall. All of our
equipment stays under a shed--can't do anything but help.

Of course the climate in your area may give you different results.

John Hall