[AJD] sparkplugs- problem - moisture

chester win deadeyedk at go.com
Sat Nov 18 16:42:40 PST 2006

Hi, Kraig and all.

That could very well work and would be pretty safe.  I have done the
same basic thing, but the heat source was a propane torch.  Must heat
gently, not too hot, and let cool slowly so insulator is not shocked.
The oven would be more controlled, and a 20 or 30 minute soak may be
enough.  My other method is to put the plug upside down and soak the
inside with starting fluid for a couple of minutes, as has been
mentioned earlier.  Next, blow up into the plug with compressed air to
dry them.  If they are carboned (or a little rusted from standing), I
just clamp an ordinary hand operated wire brush in the vise and rub the
plug back and forth across the brush in various positions to get all
surfaces clean.  With a fine wire brush, you can insert a few wires up
in around the tip insulator and rotate the plug back and forth to clean
crud which is lurking up in there, then another good air blast.  I had
an old 350 CID Chevy. 4x4 that I only used to plow snow.  The beast
would always drop 2 or 3 plugs after extended periods of standing.  The
above methods extended the plugs 3 or 4 years before they had to be
replaced.

Another little trick that I have used on everything from 2 cycle
snowmobiles to my Farmall M and 560 requires the motor to be running.
With good insulated pliers, pull the wire from the fouled plug and hold
it 1/8 to 1/4 inch from the top of the plug so the spark jumps to the
plug.  Somewhere, sometime I have been told that when a spark jumps a
gap, it increases (makes it hotter).  Usually it does not take long for
a fouled plug to clean off and start working O.K. again.
 **     DISCLAIMER  ** I would repeat the word "INSULATED" FOR
WHATEVER YOU HOLD THE PLUG WIRE WITH.

Being on this list, it seems the above method requires 1 plug running
to clean the other in most cases......

Have fun,

Charlie V.