[Farmall] Carburetor Floats

Bob Currie tractors at foothill.net
Wed Nov 15 21:11:45 PST 2006

My 29 Farmall Regular uses a brass, Ensign carb which has a cork float.
When I rebuilt the carburetor 4 or 5 years ago I put in a new cork float,
needle & seat, plus gaskets. All supplied by Rice Equipment there in
PA.  Worked great!! Within the past year or so, the carb started flooding
and it steadily got worse and worse, to the point where the gasoline just
poured out as soon as you turned on the fuel at the tank, and the tractor
wouldn't run anymore. I pulled the carb and took it apart, figuring it was
the float or the needle. It looks like the cork float was coated with a
shiny covering when it was new. A few people said it was shellac. So now
I'm looking at the cork float and it looks to be in good shape, no cracks,
no holes, no fluid inside. Some of the shellac, shiny stuff is worn off. So
I have two questions:  Is that stuff shellac?? and is there any other
product out there that won't get eaten up by unleaded gasoline? And,,has
anybody reproduced the floats for those Ensign carburetors that is made out
of some material other than cork??  One guy suggested using model airplane
dope..I checked that out and the can says "up to 15 percent resistant to
various fuels". I'm thinking that's not good enough. Anybody have
experience with this problem?

bobcurrie