[Steam-engine] Gauge adjustment.

Jeff Detwiler jdetwiler at detwilerandassociates.com
Wed Nov 15 10:51:55 PST 2006

Hello Andy~~ and all those in steamland~

I have some bad news for you.  Mace Archer, longtime friend and mentor of mine, passed away October 15th.  He had shared some of his knowledge with Harold, and Harold has a dead weight tester that works very well.

Mace had always made sure that each gauge he worked on was calibrated correctly within a close range of your MAWP, however, it is very difficult to get it accurate across the entire range of the gauge.  He would always preload the gauge about 5 pounds so the gauge would sit on -0- properly when not under steam.  These gauges are obviously very old, and most of the bourdon tubes in the ones that have been restored have had holes soldered in them, which can change their expansion properties, and thus their accuracy at different pressure levels.

I finally finished the novel on the Joyland 65~~ look for it in January's issue of Steam Traction, and the JI Case Heritage Eagle.

Stay warm!

Jeff Detwiler
Keck #1786
Joyland 65 #34844