[AT] Re: NAA Grader Blade

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Sat Nov 11 15:38:30 PST 2006

LOL!  When I went to Evansville Wheel & Rim last year to buy a set of
chains for the Snapper/PK tractor at the church (so that we would have
some traction when clearing the parking lot of ice and snow) the
salesman asked me if I wanted "on 4" or "on 2"?  I got "on 2".  They're
almost as hefty as yours, George.  Yours would be called "on 6".  It's a
measure of how many links there are in between the cross chains.  Since
these are being run on top of 15X13 turf tires, the "on 2" design keeps
the rubber from ever touching down.  That's ideal for running on top of
a paved parking lot.  I couldn't buy any chains that were actually short
enough to fit these tires, so I ended up cutting off a couple of cross
links to make them fit.  I opened up the end hooks on a couple of those
and use them as filler at the side chain connectors.  That way, there's
no bump even when that section hits the ground.  That little
modification makes all the difference in the world for the comfort of
the driver when working on ice.

Larry