[AT] Re: NAA Grader Blade

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Nov 11 11:48:53 PST 2006

I clear the snow on our 2 mile dirt lane, with steep grades and tight
turns. I have used a little Jim Dandy (Power King), a Farmall Cub, and
then a Ford 860 (just a little bigger than an NAA). In all three cases,
I had virtually no traction without chains and unlimited tractions with
them. I strongly recommend the "duo-grip" type of chains, as they keep
the cross links from dropping into the spaces between the lugs on ag
type tires. The only limit I have reached with the 860 is when the snow
is so deep that the snow just goes over the top of the blade. So I have
to make sure that I get out there before it gets too deep, regardless of
the time of night or conditions. That is also why I converted to 12
volts. I also recommend a 7' blade so that I can clear as wide as path
as possible with the blade angled. For an image of the tractor, chains,
7' Ford blade, and canvas weather cab, see:
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/other_machinery/fordcab2.html>

For the chains, look at:
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/other_machinery/unicorn2.html>

As noted in the album, I now do 90% of the road clearing sitting in the
nice warm cab of my Ford F-350 6x6 mason dump - sitting on a tractor
during a blizzard gets old real fast. But I still use the 860 for
driveways and general clean-up later (when the sun comes out!).

Mike

Ralph Goff wrote:
> Definitely agree on the fluid in rear tires. Even with both 13x38s full of
> fluid and double cast wheel weights the Cockshutt 40 has only marginal
> traction in ice and snow. Hanging a six foot snowblower on the back turns it
> into an unbeatable combination of traction and power. Just a world of
> difference is what it makes. Can't speak for chains as I have never used
> them. But I think they would also be a big help in ice and snow. I've got an
> old set of tire chains that have been on  the farm longer than I have but I
> don't recall where they came from or what they fit.
> People actually used tire chains on cars and trucks here back in the early
> days of deep snow and poor roads. Long before paved highways.
>
> Ralph in Sask.
> http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
<mikesloane at verizon.net>
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

There is not such a cradle of democracy upon the earth as
the Free Public Library, this republic of letters, where
neither rank, office, nor wealth receives the slightest
consideration. -Andrew Carnegie, industrialist (1835-1919)