[Farmall] H Charging Problem

szabelsk at gdls.com szabelsk at gdls.com
Sun Nov 5 06:30:57 PST 2006

What the meter is showing you is the current being put out by the
alternator. The higher the engine RPM the higher the potential current
output, at lower RPM (idle) the lower the potential current output.

You could have a bad battery that is trying to suck 20 amps of current for
charging at high RPM.  At idle the battery is still trying to suck all the
output but the alternator is only putting out 10 AMPs.

Check you battery and look for bad cells. Check water levels, specific
gravities, etc. It only takes one bad cell to ruin a battery. A simple way
is to take it to an automotive parts dealer and let them run a test on it.
You can run this test yourself if you have the right equipment, but it's
easier to have a parts store do it. They usually won't charge for it.

Also check all the battery/regulator/alternator connections and wires
associated with the charging system. look for corrosion, bad insulation,
etc.

Carl Szabelski
x5947

"Larry Holderman" <l-d-holderman at kconline.com>
Sent by: farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
11/04/2006 05:24 PM
Please respond to
Farmall/IHC mailing list <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>

<farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>
cc

Subject
[Farmall] H Charging Problem

I have an H that has the voltage regulator mounted under the gas tank by
the
steering column.  The problem that I am having is that it is charging way
too much 20amp..all the time except when you are at idle it puts out
around
10amp.   I replaced the regulator today with a new one and the same
thing..
Any ideas as to what maybe going on??

Larry Holderman
Warsaw, Indiana