[AT] Old IH hammer mill

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Nov 3 14:41:43 PST 2006

That mill looks almost identical to the David Bradley mill we had on the
farm, Ralph.  Ours was pre WWII.  It had the fiber pulley.  The top half
of the mill was hinged so you could replace the screens with different
sizes for grinding.  We made use of the smallest (1/4") and largest
(3/4") screens the most. The small one was good for corn and other feed
grains for the cows and chickens.  The large size was for grinding corn
cobs to make bedding.

The big difference in the mills appears to be the bottom end of the
cyclone.  Ours had a diverter on it for switching from one burlap sack
to another instead of the shutoff plate that yours has.  We were always
forgetting to change the diverter in time and the chute would get
stopped up to the point that the diverter plate wouldn't move.  Since
the John Deere L didn't have a throw out clutch on the belt pulley, that
meant that one of us had to go outside and hold a foot on the clutch
pedal while someone else dug the meal out of the chute.  I remember
using a scoop shovel to feed the excess meal back through the mill
during this process.  That was easier than trying to shovel the meal
into a sack directly.  We used some old furnace ducting to run a vent
from the top of the cyclone directly to the outside.  That modification
kept the dust down inside the barn.

Larry