Farmall 400 wiring (was Re: [Farmall] I'm New On Here

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Fri Nov 3 07:11:15 PST 2006

Believe it or not, you can still buy a brand new wiring harness for the
400, although it won't be cheap. If you contact me off-line at
<mikesloane at verizon.net> I can send you images of the pages from the
parts manual, which will work pretty well. I should point out that the
later 450 was a 12 volt tractor, and I don't think that you would find
many differences (electrically) between a 400 and a 450. So you could
use the wiring diagram for a 12 volt 450, although that is a generator
equipped machine, not an alternator.

As far as converting the tractor to 12 volts (with an alternator, I
presume), that is your call. If all the components are in good shape and
the tractor starts easily on 6 volts, why fix what ain't broke? But if
you need to start the tractor in the dead of winter, or the generator
and battery are due for replacement, changing to 12 volts can't hurt.
The trick with converting to an alternator is working up an arrangement
where you don't have to hack up the hood. Of course, you also have to
change out the lights and re-wire the ammeter and coil, but those are
not big deals. It is your tractor, and you can do what ever you like, of
course. Just for information, I bought a Super M with a bad battery and
generator, and burned out lights. For me, the decision to convert was a
"no brainer", but the hardest part was mounting the alternator. See
<http://public.fotki.com/mikesloane/other_machinery/sm_alternator3.html>
for my installation.

Mike

johng at donet.com wrote:

>   Hello,
>
>   I am restoring my old 1956 Farmall 400 - we have had this tractor
> since '66.  It is a very high serial number, one of the last 400's
> made.  I am down to the last of the hydraulic and electrical fixes -
> then I'll fire it up.
>
>   Does anybody have a complete wiring diagram for a 400 ?  I would  like
> to remake the wiring harness completely and replace the old one
> currently on the old Red Beast.  The wiring diagram would make this
> process a lot easier and faster that taking the old wiring harness  apart.
>
>   Also, any thoughts on to change it to a 12 volt system ?  Different
> web-chats have differing thoughts on to change, or don't change it.
>
>   Thanks
>
>   John G.

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ