[AT] tractor fuel efficiency

Len Rugen rugenl at yahoo.com
Wed May 10 05:46:38 PDT 2006

This mornings news reported Missouri farmers planted about 15% less corn and 6% more soybeans (probably planed) because of relative fuel costs.  Even with the amount of corn going into E85, I think we a large carryover in on-farm bins.

I don't remember where I read it, but there was an article talking about the fuel saved by reducing engine RPM.  Their example was dirt work at full throttle vs reducing to PTO RPM (say 2200 vs 1850) reducing ground speed, slippage and waste due to internal friction.  I've noticed that I see very smoke at PTO RPM vs. full speed.  Unfortunately, the past 2 evenings, it's been a race against storm clouds, so it's been b*lls to the wall.

Len Rugen
--0-828082404-1147265198=:83895

<DIV> </DIV>