[AT] tractor fuel efficiency

Ken Knierim ken.knierim at gmail.com
Tue May 9 20:06:04 PDT 2006

OK folks...
     I know the cost of gas hurts but I can't imagine that diesel is
any better... what brands of tractors have better fuel economy? I know
that JD did real well in the tractor testing at Nebraska but the ones
I was looking at were predominantly older models so I don't know what
the newer ones are capable of, with modern engine controls,
turbochargers, better transmissions and tires... I'm sure these all
together make a difference.
     Does a Caterpillar Challenger have an advantage since it
presumably has lower slippage than a wheel tractor? Or does someone
with an aftermarket turbocharger, intercooler and oversized pistons
(hotrodded tractor) have an advantage? And what tricks help in this
regard?
     My Dad never tweaked on the diesels we had around; does changing
the timing gain anything in the fuel economy department? And if so,
does it cause other side effects (like the engine running hot or
breaking).
      Curious minds want to know.

Ken in AZ

(fueled up my Camaro today at $3.219 for midgrade. can't imagine
filling my Blazer up with that pricey stuff for a daily commute!)