[Ford-ferguson] Ford 9N Tractor

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Mon May 8 06:22:52 PDT 2006

Hill, Damon wrote:
> Hello to all!  I have, what I believe is a 1947 Ford 9N tractor, that was my
> grandfathers.
The 9N was built between 1939 and 1941. Then a very similar model called
the 2N came out in 1942 and was built until 1948, when the 8N came out
(with the 4 speed transmission and air intake through the side of the
hood). 90% of the 9N parts are the same as the 2N, so it probably
doesn't matter which one you have.

>  I am unable to locate the serial number on it.  So it's a bit
> of a mystery.  It is however a 3 speed, with the breather through a stack
> instead of a grill on the hood.  It has a front mount distributor.  Just to
> name a few hightlights.  We have recently had problems with the hydraulics.
> Basically it won't lift anymore.  Now we have priced some pumps, thinking
> that's what it is.  However does anyone have any suggestions about what else
> it could be?
My experience with that problem is that the plunger valve on the bottom
of the pump rusts up and won't move. When you try to move the lift
lever, the plunger gets separated from the linkage, and nothing happens.
  The fix is relatively easy to do, but it is a little work. I suggest
you pick up a copy of the service manual from any of several suppliers -
there are detailed instructions for removing the pump (which includes
removing the PTO shaft, etc.). Once you have it out, you gently force
the plunger out of the valve, clean it up with steel wool until it
slides easily, and put the whole mess back together. You attach the
linkage through the hole left when you remove the left side plate ( the
one with the transmission dipstick. It is a messy job, but the
transmission fluid is probably due for a change anyway. :-)

>  If it is the pump would anybody have any suggestions on where
> to buy used parts?  Or perhaps rebuilt parts?  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated to keep this American Classic going.
Chances are the only expense you will have is the replacement of the 90W
transmission fluid. Or, you can try to catch and save the fluid and do
the whole thing for free.

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
- Edward R. Murrow, journalist (1908-1965)