[AT] Portland Camping

Gene Dotson gdotsly at loganrec.com
Mon May 1 17:41:09 PDT 2006

    John and others;
    The big change in camping is that the directors are no longer to
rope off an area for their friends, cronies, brother in law and friend
of a friend. This has been happening in the past and now has come to a
halt. There will still be areas set aside, but have to be approved by
the club officers based on the merit and participation of the group.
Financial offers of any kind are not considered and discouraged. What
they want is for people participate in any way they are able.
Volunteering on work days and at the show will be looked on with
favor. Our A.T.I.S. tractor group has donated many hours to assist the
Tri-State club. We actively get to know the directors and officers and
ask what we can do.
    Manual work is not the only way to participate. There are 11 other
months in the calendar year besides August. New ideas and suggestions
are always appreciated and considered if they are submitted in a
cordial and well meaning way.
    Members showing up early this year will notice a vastly greater
number of the good camping spots that are open. Favoratism hopefully
is a thing of the past.
    The whole blowup started at the show last year when a club
member's friend showed up from South Carolina and did not have his
usual spot reserved. This person's only contact with the club was to
attend the show. A very verbal display unsued from this and involved
the camping directors and officers. It has been leading up to this for
a few years and this was the fuse that set it all off.
    I am very sorry that some have decided to forego the pleasures of
this show. Many have attended for many years. The best advice I can
give it to exercise the membership you have invested in. Be a club
member and not just a show attendee.