[AT] Having battery problems--cold wind--Charlie

John Wilkens jwilkens at eoni.com
Sun Mar 26 18:14:42 PST 2006

I've lost count of the number of tractor starters I've had rebuilt as a
result of hard starting with even a new battery.  The old ones (like mine)
occasionally do need attention.  Sometimes with the 6 volt systems all you
need are some good HEAVY gauge battery cables with clean connections.  My
old 6 volt Farmall H has never failed to start in the coldest weather (NE
Oregon) when the electrical stuff was in top shape.  I'll have to admit the
Case VAC I'm working on right now barely turns over--even after a new
battery and cables and a generator rebuild.  Just not enough live left in
the old generator I guess.  I changed it to a one-wire alternator, 12 volt
battery and 12 volt bulbs and used the old 6 volt starter.  Works fine
now.    John W.