[AT] kholer / coil

Greg Hass gkhass at avci.net
Thu Mar 23 14:06:33 PST 2006

Yes, we replaced the condensor several times.  In fact, one time on my
brother's machine (a day after replacing the points and condensor), it quit
in the middle of his yard on his way to feed his cattle.  We checked point
gap, etc. and in deperation we finally put the old condensor back on.  It
ran fine.  The new condensor had lasted one day.  During the time we had
them, each of us had replced the coil with an original equipment Kohler
coil, and it didn't help the situation any.  On the advice of our parts
supplier, we even went to a heavy duty set of points which had a stronger
spring.  We also tried to get a solid state ignition replacement for this
engine, but none is available.  Due to its design (a 2-cylinder engine),
both plugs fire at once - one at the end of compression and one at the end
of exhaust.  This also caused a problem in that if one plug got wet,
neither one would fire.  We finally came to the conclusion it was just a
bad design by Kohler.

Greg Hass
Bad Axe, MI