[AT] pulling sleeves

ken knierim wild1 at cpe-66-1-196-61.az.sprintbbd.net
Mon Mar 20 17:28:51 PST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 16:08, Mike Sloane wrote:
> I have a Ford 2N that was plugged up with crap like yours. I ended up
> stripping the engine, pulling the bare block out, and taking it to a
> local machine shop, where they "boiled and baked" it. I don't think
> there is any way that a "shade tree" mechanic can get all that crud out
> of a block while it is still on the tractor. Of course, the Ford N block
> isn't all that big, so I was able to just lower it into the trunk of my
> car (and the guy at the machine shop just picked it up and carried it to
> "the tank").
>
> Mike

Well, one nice thing about the Case engine is that with the sleeves out,
there's a huge square cavity in the middle of the block you can get at
and clean out almost all of the engine. It has nice big easy-access
holes big enough for your arm, courtesy of where the sleeves would be.
The block will still come off the tractor since I need to clean out all
the rest of the crud but I don't think I need to tank it at this point.

The cylinder head, on the other hand, will probably have to be torn down
and tanked. There are way too many parts of that that I don't think I
can get to, and don't think I really want to anyway. I haven't looked at
it pretty much since I pulled it off the tractor and set it out of the
way. I'd really like this thing to be right, and if I have to tank the
head, maybe the block wouldn't be bad too. Have to look at the cam
bearings and see what I'm getting into here. I don't know if I have to
pull those out, what they're made from and such. The parts book I have
doesn't cover camshaft bearings and I don't have a clue how to rebabbit
something if that's how they're made; some bearings in this engine are
that type.

Thanks!

Ken