[Steam-engine] Valves seats

James Mackessy jmackess at twcny.rr.com
Fri Mar 17 07:59:54 PST 2006

Hi Rick;
     Smacking the ball into the seat works well on freshly machined seats,
but I
wouldn't try it to restore an old seat unless it was freshly cut first. The
ball you
use for the "smacking", of course, becomes junk. Nicholson File Co. used to
make a ball end rotary burr on a 1/4" shank that could be used to put a
fresh
cut on a 1/4" diameter ball check, then smack it. Use it between your
fingers,
don't try it under power. You only need to cut until you can see a ring of
fresh
metal. Under power, you'll do a lot more than that, if things don't get
caught
and eat the insides of the valve first. I have tried a drill press, but
again, I like
the control you get cutting slowly by hand.
Best Regards;
Jim Mackessy
Camillus Steam Project