[AT] 8-volt batteries in 6-volt tractors

Carl Tatlock carllary at Surfglobal.net
Fri Mar 10 05:23:14 PST 2006

DAVIESW739 at aol.com wrote:

>Larry you must be awfully young, 12 volts came out in the early to mid
>fifties.  Most autos didn't have anything but lights and most of them were  small.
>Radios and heaters were an option until about 53 and even then  on some cars
>they were. Power windows what are those.  No the 12 volts came  about to start
>the higher compression engines and small overhead V-8s not to run  all kinds
>of electrical things because unless you were rich and owned a Caddy  that stuff
>just didn't exist.
>
>Walt  Davies
>Cooper Hollow Farm
>Monmouth, OR 97361
>503 623-0460

More on 12volts:  My 1922 Dodge Brothers touring car came (as all Dodges
did) with a 12v. system.  It had a starter/generator about a foot long
and 8-10 inches around (estimated: too cold to go look) that was
directly connected to engine by enclosed chain.  Starting, you heard
only the hum of an electric motor, and when sufficient rpms were reached
by the running engine, the "starter motor" became a dynamo-- a
generator.   They used the system  for years.  BTW, the old Dodge starts
as easily in cold weather as warm-- low compression engine-- but
reliable.  In the late '20s they went to 6V as did almost all car
makers.  By 1955-56, most manufacturers shifted to 12V since they had
motors now in the range of 300 HP to crank.  (And, as was pointed out,
it takes less copper-smaller wires, smaller motors.  On my Chrysler van,
the starter motor is about the size of a small soup can....).     Carl
in the Champlain Valley-- the Bananna Belt of Vermont.